By Matt Gibson
A watering can, sometimes called a watering pot, is the most practical and efficient way to irrigate your garden plants. Some watering cans are designed for outdoor use and others are designed for indoor plants, though most watering cans will function in either space. Some watering cans can hold up to two and a half gallons of water, though most are just one gallon containers.
Larger watering cans don’t have to be refilled as often, but are quite heavy when filled to the brim. Some newer watering can models have special features, such as removable spouts for multiple pour types and speeds. There are even watering cans that also serve as misting devices with spray bottle attachments.
There are lots of plain-looking watering cans and a few with really pretty designs. Some watering cans are sleek and futuristic. Some newer models are designed to look vintage, incorporating old designs with modern functionality. There are also watering cans that are far too expensive for the purpose they serve, while others are available at bargain bin prices and are still fully functional.
Whether you are in the market for a modern, state of the art watering can or looking to find one on clearance, you are sure to find the watering can that is perfect for you. In this article, we have gathered the best watering cans on the market for both indoor and outdoor plant care. Review the best of the best below and decide for yourself which watering can has the most appeal.
Southern Patio 1.5 Gallon Watering Can
This fern-colored watering can is lightweight but durable, made from high-quality resin. The Southern Patio resin watering can series comes in four sizes. The smallest is 28 ounces, and would serve as an indoor watering can for those who do not have many indoor plants, like a small kitchen herb garden. Southern Patio also makes an 80 ounce can, a 1.5 gallon, and a 2 gallon version. The 1.5 gallon can is sufficient for many small home garden setups. The two gallon cans are obviously well-suited to larger home garden setups where gardeners need significantly larger amounts of water.
- Only the 2 gallon size has a sprinkler attachment. All other versions have only a simple pour spout.
- Only available in one color, an ugly dark-green shade they call fern.
- A particularly negative Amazon review came from a customer who complained about a flaw in the design. He wrote, “My complaint with this watering can is that it is unbalanced and not very ergonomic. When full, if you pick it up with one hand by the handle it will tip forward and water spills out of the spout. You must use both hands to support the watering can level to prevent this, or have a very strong wrist to keep the spout cocked up so that it doesn’t spill. If you don’t already have carpal tunnel syndrome, this will likely give it to you.” Indeed, because the handle is not located over the center of gravity, this watering can will easily tip over when full.
- Though it may tip over if you are not careful, this is still a very practical, basic, and inexpensive watering can.
- Leak resistant.
See it at Amazon. https://amzn.to/3d3NtGR
Union 63068 2 Gallon Watering Can with Tulip Design
The Union 2 gallon watering can is likely the best plastic watering can on the market. We decided to feature the two gallon model because a plastic watering can is a good pick if you are looking for a larger can so that you don’t have to make as many trips back and forth from the garden hose to your garden. Plastic is lightweight but durable, and the weight is important when you are dragging around 2 gallons of water. When attached, the sprinkler head makes the water come out in a shower style, and when the head is screwed off, water just spills out with no limitation, as it would from a faucet. The raised tulip design is simple but cute. At usually under $20, this watering can is affordable and fairly priced.
- Available in Sage Green, Caribbean Blue, Purple, and Hunter Green
- Durable plastic blow-mold
- Holds up to 2 gallons of water
- Has a one and a half inch opening.
- Made in the USA
- Replaceable sprinkler head (screws on and off to give two pour speed options)
- Thirteen inches tall
- Also available in 1 gallon size in the same four colors.
See it at Amazon. https://amzn.to/3jBfQyT
Gardman 8327 One-Gallon Hunter Green Galvanized Steel Watering Can with Copper Accents
The Gardman green and copper one gallon watering can is one of the best you can get, and it shows. This watering can looks like the vintage watering cans found in antique stores, if one was restored and reimagined with a hunter-green finish and eye-catching copper accents. Combining tough galvanized steel with beautiful aesthetics, the Gardman watering can is a beautiful decorative piece, as well as a functional household item. At a suggested retail price of just under $30, the Gardman watering can is worth every penny and is perhaps the best watering can on the market, all factors considered.
- Made of 100% stainless steel
- Angular neck has excellent reach
- Guaranteed long life and rust resistance
- One foot tall
- Shiny Galvanized version also available
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Remove the sprinkler head for a more powerful water flow.
See it at Amazon. https://amzn.to/36IVoZj
Blomus Planto 1.5 Liter Indoor Watering Can
The sleek, futuristic design of the Blomus Planto Watering Can makes it stand out when compared to other watering cans on the market. The stainless steel construction and mirrored polish makes the Blomus watering can stand out next to its competitors. Another thing that makes it stand out next to its competitors, is its hefty price tag. At nearly $90, I was expecting it to read the temperature of its contents on an LED display. This is definitely not for gardeners with minimal budgets. However, if money isn’t a concern and you want your indoor garden area to look sophisticated and classy, the Blomus Planto Watering Can will help you do just that.
- Sturdy, solid, stainless steel construction
- Elongated spout helps gardeners reach between plants to get water into hard to reach places.
- Sleek, futuristic, contemporary design
- At 1.5 liters, this watering can is built for small jobs, but it should never be too far from the kitchen sink, where it can be easily refilled
- Will not drip, spill, or leak. The spout’s design limits splashing as well, which should help keep your plant’s leaves dry, limiting chances of foliar diseases.
- High-quality materials coupled with simple, but elegant style
See it at Amazon. https://amzn.to/36AmTnG
Behrens 210 2-1/2-Gallon Steel Watering Can
This watering can is sturdy, large, and well built. The rosette head is not intended for removal, which can be a problem for some users who don’t like the way the head waters, which is described by one reviewer as, “a nice rain.” However, the head can be removed, and as one user discovered, it can be replaced with any hose fitting with a little bit of modification. Once modified, you can attach any head that has a standard hose fitting to the can.
If you want an old school style watering can that is made of steel to stand the test of time, this is the watering can for you. If you are tired of plastic cans that fall apart after only a year or two of use, this is your go-to can as well. This watering can holds a lot of water, which is appealing to some gardeners, but could be a drawback for others, as it can be quite heavy when completely full.
The sprinkle pattern that the rosette head offers is nice and wide and the water sprays nice and far if it is given a nice tilt. From the reviews, you can also tell that the Behrens watering can is rust resistant. Even those who leave the can full of water regularly said that they have seen no signs of rusting. At just under $40, this watering can seems to be priced to match its value.
- Well-built, heavy duty steel construction.
- Extra large capacity, holds two and a half gallons of water for less traveling back and forth between plants and water source.
- It can be quite heavy when full.
- Rosette head is not intended to be removed
- If you are the handy type, however, the head can be removed and fitted with various hose head extensions.
- Relatively affordable for such a heavy-duty product.
See it at Amazon. https://amzn.to/34Bez4C
Bloem Easy Pour 2.6 Gallon Watering Can
If you are looking for versatility in a watering can, this one has the whole package. The Bloem Easy Pour Watering Can is probably the best all-around watering can on the market. It has a large water capacity, holding 2.6 gallons of water. It also features two handles, one runs vertically, the other horizontally, over the top of the can, which makes it easier to carry and easier to pour. The duel handle system allows for better control and maneuverability, as you can grip it with multiple hand positions, making it easier to handle while hovering over your plants, which should make watering more accurate and lessen some of the stress on your back and wrists when carrying the can around, and while watering your plants. It comes with a rotating spout head that can be adjusted from a gentle shower to a steady stream and anywhere in between. The filling hole is easy to reach and is not blocked by the two handles, making it easy to fill from a variety of different spigots. Made from 100% polypropylene plastic that has been UV stabilized, so that its color won’t fade in the sun.
- Adjustable spout with a range of options from a light shower setting to a steady stream, offering multiple ways to water each type of plant in your garden.
- Dual-handle system makes it easier to grip from different angles when carrying or watering to take the pressure off of your wrists.
- Most plastic cans are made from multiple pieces that fit together to make the final product. This can, however, seems to me made from one solid piece, so there are no creases and folds in the plastic. No creases = No leaking.
- Spout is removable for cleaning purposes.
- Filling hole is smartly located on the side so the handles do not get in the way.
- Made from UV stabilized plastic to withstand extreme weather conditions without fading in color, cracking, or breaking.
See it at Amazon. https://amzn.to/36Ej9le
Scheurich Sprayman 1.7 Qt. Green Watering Can with Mister
This is not your typical watering can. It has a plant mister built into the handle so that you can water your plants and mist for added humidity, all with the same device. The Sprayman Watering Can from the German company Scheurich holds 1.7 quarts of water at one time, which is about 40 ounces. That’s not a large amount of water. Considering the amount of water and the mister attachment, it’s obvious that this product is designed for indoor watering more than for outdoor jobs. The opaque green plastic makes it easy to see the water line at all times, so you know when you are running out of water. At just $10, this is a worthwhile investment for your indoor houseplant watering needs.
- Lightweight and easy to use.
- Spray bottle-like mister built in to the handle for dual purpose watering
- See-through plastic lets you keep an eye on the water level at all times.
- Affordably priced, this is a must-have for indoor gardeners.
See it at Amazon. https://amzn.to/2GtKmMw
Did we leave out your favorite watering can? Let us know if there’s one you like even better in the comments!
Our home and garden obsessed writers and editors choose every product we review. We may earn money if you buy from a link at no additional cost to you.